Celebrating African American STEM Inventors
National Black History Month 2020
Natomas Unified School District’s Core Belief is “Our diversity is a strength.” In support of that belief and in celebration of Black History Month, NUSD is proud to present our Black History Month contest that recognizes the significant contributions of African Americans to the world of STEM! (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)!
Two winners will be selected! The Elementary (grades K-5) winner will receive a family pack to an upcoming Sacramento River Cats Game. The Secondary (grades 6-12) winner will receive 2 tickets to the March 3 or March 17 Sacramento Kings Game.
CONTEST INSTRUCTIONS AND RULES
Essay Contest: Grades 6-12
Write a one-page essay that identifies an African American STEM Inventor and explains how his/her invention has influenced our society.
- All work must be neatly printed or typed and double-spaced so that it can be easily read.
- State the inventor in the first sentence of paragraph 1.
- Be sure to include your first and last name, grade, and school of attendance.
- The content must be authored by the person submitting the entry.
- Submit your completed entry by February 21 to [email protected]. If you wish to submit a hard copy, you may deliver or mail it to Natomas Unified School District Education Center, 1901 Arena Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95834.
Poster Contest: Grades K-5
Identify an African American STEM Inventor and design a colorful poster that best reflects the impact of that invention on our society.
- Be creative and colorful.
- Poster size can be a minimum of 8 ½ x 11 (standard letter size) or a maximum of 8 ½ x 14 (legal size).
- Students must include first and last name, grade, school of attendance, and the name of their teacher on the back of the poster.
- Submissions must be completed by hand and the original artwork of the student submitting the entry.
- Entries can be submitted to the front office of the student’s school or delivered or mailed to Natomas Unified School District Education Center, 1901 Arena Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95834 no later than February 21. All submissions will be judged by a selection committee at the Natomas Unified School District Education Center.
Contact Deidra Powell, [email protected] if you have questions or need more information.