NUSD English Learner Services
English Learner (EL)
The Natomas Unified School district provides a variety of services to support English learner students and meet state and federal funding and student outcomes.Program support includes:
- Professional development for administrators, teachers in meeting the educational need of English learners
- Language Proficiency testing (CELDT) and ELD program assessments
- Interventions for English learners
- District and school site needs assessment and program monitoring
- Training and information for parents as partners in their child’s education including required State and federal parent notification
- State and federal compliance issue
- Newcomer’s support
- Translation services
English Learner Master Plan
School Leadership and Support has utilized classroom walks, parent and staff input through surveys, meetings and focus groups, collaboration with EL experts in the field, research on best practices and recommendations and data analysis to develop a comprehensive English Learner Master Plan. This plan enables us to provide a comprehensive approach for access to high quality, appropriate services and supports to our English Learners as well as providing staff resources, tools and supports to enhance staff knowledge and practices of effective EL instruction.
The Natomas Unified English Learner Master Plan will provide a strong foundation for truly acknowledging that our diversity is a strength, every student can and will succeed, and that staff must be committed, collaborative, caring and exemplary. This foundation will be built through providing a district expectation of high quality instruction and services for our English Learners based on achievement. We will also celebrate and recognize achievement through opportunities such as the State Seal of Bi-literacy
Please click here to open the English Learner Master Plan.
DELAC: District English Learner Advisory Committee
DELAC shall be comprised of a minimum of one parent and one staff representative of each school in NUSD, selected by the site ELAC (English Learner Advisory Committee). Parents or guardians of English Learners not employed by the district must constitute a majority membership (51 percent or more) of the committee.
Committee members advise the district’s governing board through their input at monthly DELAC meetings on the following areas:
- District programs, goals, objectives and services for English Learners
- District EL Master Plan
- District reclassification procedures and required written notifications sent to parents and guardians.
- Compliance with any applicable teacher and instructional aide requirements.
- District wide needs assessments on a school by school basis
Translation and childcare is provided at all DELAC meetings.
Please contact School Leadership and Support at (916) 567-5442 if you have any questions.
Site EL Leads and Coordinators
Every NUSD school site encourages teachers and site leaders that are passionate for English Learners to support the EL programs at the school site as an EL Lead or Coordinator. Below are the leads and coordinators that represent the school site. Please feel free to reach out to your site’s EL Lead/Coordinator.
|School Site||EL Lead/Coordinator|
|American Lakes||Rosa Torres & Fernando Cruz|
|Bannon Creek||Ivette Portela|
|H. Allen Hight||Izamar Gonzalez & Courtnie Ruments|
|Natomas Park||Scott Pitts & Tanya Praest|
|Two Rivers||Meghan Kauffman|
|Witter Ranch||Maria Phan|
|Leroy Greene||Carolyn Walker|
|Natomas Gateways Middle||Kim Jacobsen-Sanchez & Elizabeth Mangrum|
|Natomas Middle||Stephanie Steuteville|
|Natomas High||Maria Rios & Jessie Storrs|