Each Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) in California is required by Education Code 56190 to have a Community Advisory Committee (CAC) for Special Education. The committee shall serve in an advisory capacity to the NUSD Board of Trustees. The members of the Community Advisory Committee shall be appointed by, and be responsible to, the governing board. Appointment of members shall be in accordance with a locally determined selection procedure that is described in the local plan.
At least the majority of members of the CAC shall be composed of parents of pupils enrolled in schools participating in the local plan, and at least a majority of such parents shall be parents of individuals with exceptional needs.
The CAC’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Advising the policy and administrative entity of the district regarding the development,
amendment, and review of the local plan. The Board of Trustees shall review and consider comments from the CAC.
- Recommending annual priorities to be addressed by the plan.
- Assisting in parent education and in recruiting parents and other volunteers who may contribute to the implementation of the plan.
- Encouraging community involvement in the development and review of the local plan.
- Supporting activities on behalf of individuals with exceptional needs.
- Assisting in parent awareness of the importance of regular school attendance.
CAC’s in California provide a wide range of positive parent to parent support systems including conferences, support groups, newsletter and publications, and training opportunities in addition to their advisory capacity.
Current NUSD CAC Members
Joel Schwieger, Chair (NUSD Special Education Teacher/Parent)
Drew Williams, Vice Chair (Parent)
Erika Chilcott (Parent)
Josh Lattuada (Community Member)
Earl Pavao (NUSD Special Education Admin)
Josh Harris, Secretary (NUSD Special Education Admin)
CAC Meeting Agendas
For information about CAC, please call the Student Services and Support Department at (916) 561-5287.