Each Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) in California is required by Education Code 56190 to have a Community Advisory Committee (CAC) for Special Education. The committee shall serve in an advisory capacity to the NUSD Board of Trustees. The members of the Community Advisory Committee shall be appointed by, and be responsible to, the governing board. Appointment of members shall be in accordance with a locally determined selection procedure that is described in the local plan.
At least the majority of members of the CAC shall be composed of parents of pupils enrolled in schools participating in the local plan, and at least a majority of such parents shall be parents of individuals with exceptional needs.
The CAC’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Advising the policy and administrative entity of the district regarding the development,
amendment, and review of the local plan. The Board of Trustees shall review and consider comments from the CAC.
- Recommending annual priorities to be addressed by the plan.
- Assisting in parent education and in recruiting parents and other volunteers who may contribute to the implementation of the plan.
- Encouraging community involvement in the development and review of the local plan.
- Supporting activities on behalf of individuals with exceptional needs.
- Assisting in parent awareness of the importance of regular school attendance.
CAC’s in California provide a wide range of positive parent to parent support systems including conferences, support groups, newsletter and publications, and training opportunities in addition to their advisory capacity.
For information about CAC, please call Student Services and Support at (916) 567-5852.
Click here to access meeting dates for the 2021-22 school year.
Meeting agendas will be posted below prior to each meeting.
February 18, 2021
January 14, 2021
December 3, 2020
October 15, 2020
September 3, 2020 (Amended Agenda)
August 20, 2020
July 29, 2020
May 14, 2020
April 24, 2020
March 30, 2020
January 22, 2020
September 26, 2019
May 23, 2019
April 25, 2019
March 28, 2019
December 14, 2018