California Education Code requires that a school district must verify a student’s residency. Documents that can be legally accepted as proof of residency are as follows:
  • Property tax payment receipts
  • Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipts
  • Utility Service contract, statement or payment receipts
  • Pay stubs
  • Voter registration
  • Correspondence from a government agency
If residency cannot be confirmed using one of the above documents, a student may apply for an Interdistrict Transfer from their District of Residence.
Other possible reasons a student not living in our district may attend in Natomas are:
  1. Non-Permanent Residence – a family and/or child(ren) living in a temporary housing situation within our district such as hotel, shelter, or with another family.
    Please also visit the Homeless Services Webpage.
  2. Caregiver Affidavit – a student(s) living with a family member or other responsible adult whereby that adult is acting as the students guardian. This often happens for temporary situations or prior to court proceedings  to determine guardianship.


Board Policy: 5111.1 – DISTRICT RESIDENCY