Interdistrict Transfer

 Transferring into NUSD from another School District

An Interdistrict Transfer Permit is a request. If it is approved by both the outgoing and incoming districts, the student is approved to enter the district. Some schools reach capacity quickly, so it is recommended that you apply as early as possible. School placement is based on capacity and the requested school is not guaranteed – visit the School Enrollment and Capacity page for more information.

Families who want their student to attend an NUSD school but live in the boundaries of a different school district must complete an Interdistrict Transfer Permit

Once an Interdistrict Transfer Permit request is approved by both districts, then families must complete the Online Registration or paper registration packet 2023-2024 or 2024-2025 o paquete de Inscripción – Español 2023-2024 o 2024/2025 to finalize the enrollment.

Families who live in the NUSD boundary but want their student to attend a non-NUSD school must have an approved Interdistrict Transfer Permit. Students must remain enrolled in school while completing the Interdistrict Transfer application.


If you need help with your Interdistrict Transfer Permit, choose one of the following options:

  • For questions regarding incoming and outgoing Interdistrict Transfer Permits, you can call or email the Enrollment Desk at (916) 567-5819 or [email protected].

If you still need help, please email Constituent and Customer Services or call (916) 561-5253.