Heron School Athletics Program
The Natomas Unified School District recognizes the important contribution of extracurricular programs to the overall education of a student. It is the District’s goal that these programs help students to become a part of the school community and its traditions. The District believes extracurricular programs provide an environment in which students may assume positions of leadership, apply the skills necessary to work successfully as a team, and to display individual talents outside the classroom. The District believes that extracurricular programs allow students additional opportunities to transfer learning from school to other aspects of their lives.
- To Be Successful – Our society is very competitive. We do not always win, but we succeed when we continually strive to do so. You can learn to accept defeat only by striving to win with earnest dedication.
- Sportsmanship – A student-athlete must learn to accept both success and defeat like a true sportsman, knowing we have done our best. We must learn to treat others, as we would have others treat us. We will develop desirable social traits, including emotional control, honesty, cooperation and dependability.
- To Improve – Continual personal and social improvement is essential to good citizenship. As a student-athlete, you must establish a goal and constantly try to reach that goal. You should try to better yourself in the skills involved and in those characteristics set forth as being desirable.
- Rewarding – It is necessary for us to acknowledge all of the personal rewards we derive from athletics, and to give sufficiently of ourselves in order to preserve and improve the program.
- Develop Desirable Personal Health Habits – To be an active, contributing citizen, it is important to obtain a high degree of physical fitness through exercise and good health habits and to develop a desire to maintain this level of physical fitness after formal competition has been completed
- Integrity - Supports and demonstrates district/school rules to reflect the high integrity of district, school and athletic program.