Attendance Office: (916) 567-5740
Attendance: Students are expected to attend school daily. Consistent daily attendance is critical for a student’s academic success. The State of California considers ten days of absences for one school year, for any reason, excessive. Excessive absences will result in a parent or guardian conference. Parents are asked to make appointments for their students outside the school day whenever possible.*
Absence Procedure: When a student is absent, the parent or guardian is to call the office the day of the absence at 916-567-5740. A written note stating the reason and date(s) of the absence is also required the day the student returns to school.
Early Dismissal: Students leaving campus early must be signed out in the office by the parent or guardian, or an adult identified on the student’s Emergency Card with a note from the parent or guardian releasing the student to the adult. Parents and guardians are asked to schedule all appointments outside the school day when possible. Teachers are to keep students in class until notified by the office to release the student.
Make-up Work: A student absent from school for an excused reason shall be allowed to complete all assignments and tests missed during the absence. Each teacher will establish a reasonable time period for completion of the missed assignments. Students will not be allowed to make up work for unexcused absences, including those for suspension.
Tardiness: Students are expected to be in class, seated at their desk, for the start of each class. When a student’s tardiness has a negative impact on the student’s academic achievement, is causing a negative impact on the instruction of others, or is a repetitive disruption, the teacher will inform the student’s Advisory teacher. The advisor will contact the parent, and if needed, hold an attendance conference. If the parent contact does not result in a change of student behavior, the student will be referred to the principal for detention or further disciplinary action.
* California Education Code 48205 states that a student may be excused legally from school when the absence is due to:
• Personal illness or injury.
• Quarantine under the direction of a county or city health office.
• Medical, dental, or chiropractic services.
• Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family.
• Jury duty.
• Pupil is the custodial parent of a child who is ill or has a medical appointment during school hours.
• Justifiable personal reasons, including, but not limited to, an appearance in court, attendance at a funeral service, observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion, attendance at religious retreats, attendance at an employment conference, when the pupil’s absence has been requested in writing by the parent or guardian and approved by the principal or designated representative.
• For the purpose of serving as a member of a precinct board for an election.
• Exclusion for failure to present evidence of immunization.
• Exclusion from school because student is either the carrier of a contagious disease or not immunized for a contagious disease.