School Readiness Preschools
American Lakes School: 2800 Stonecreek Drive, Sacramento, CA 95833
H. Allen Hight Elementary School: 3200 North Park Drive, Sacramento, CA 95835
Jefferson School: 2001 Pebblewood Drive, Sacramento, CA 95833
Natomas Park Elementary School: 4700 Crest Drive, Sacramento, CA 95835
Two Rivers Elementary School: 3201 West River Drive, Sacramento, CA 95833
Witter Ranch Elementary School: 3790 Poppy Hill Way, Sacramento, CA 95834
Our free half-day (3 hour) School Readiness preschools are led by credentialed teachers. NUSD School Readiness preschools provide developmentally appropriate experiences with foundational academic and social-emotional skills to prepare students for school success. This program runs from August – May, on the same calendar as our schools.
School Readiness Eligibility Information
Eligibility is based on documentation and verification of at least one of the following:
- Recipient of child protective services or at risk of neglect, abuse or exploitation
- A current cash aid recipient
- Income (see Current Income Eligibility Chart below)
*Children must also be age 4 by December 2nd to be eligible
All Natomas Unified School District families are welcome to submit their NSR Initial Interest Preschool Form at the NUSD Education Center (1901 Arena Blvd. Sacramento, CA 95834) or fax to (916) 567-5629. For questions or additional information, please call (916) 532-8985 or email School Readiness.
Once your initial interest form is received it will be reviewed to determine eligibility. Families will be contacted by email, phone or mail as to the status of their interest form. Students are enrolled based on first come first serve basis so it’s important to submit the interest form as that is the date used to determine order of enrollment.
If, based on information provided on the interest form, you are eligible for the program you will be pre-qualified and a preschool office specialist will contact you to schedule a meeting. At the meeting families will complete the status application and provide proof of income. The state application is the official document used to verify income and determine eligibility. If you meet all qualifications, a preschool enrollment packet will be provided and you will be asked to provide additional documents. You must meet all requirements in order to qualify for our program.
Once you receive the enrollment packet, you are responsible to complete and submit all required paperwork and documentation including an annual physical exam signed by your physician.
We look forward to working with your family.
Current Income Eligibility Chart
Transitional Kindergarten is:
- Offered to all students who will turn 5 between September 2nd and December 2nd of the academic year they are enrolling
- An opportunity for students to have an additional year of experience working with peers and foundational skills before beginning Kindergarten
- Full Day – same hours as Kindergarten approximately 6 hours (7:45 a.m. – 1:40 p.m. approximately)
Offered across the state, Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is an exciting educational opportunity for children born in the Fall. Transitional Kindergarten offers children with birthdays between September and December a developmentally appropriate curriculum aligned with Kindergarten standards, taught by credentialed teachers from K-12. Transitional Kindergarten was created by a new California law called the Kindergarten Readiness Act. Transitional Kindergarten is currently offered at:
- American Lakes School
- H. Allen Hight Elementary School
- Heron School
- Natomas Park Elementary School
- Paso Verde School
- Two Rivers Elementary School
- Witter Ranch Elementary School
To register for Transitional Kindergarten, please visit the Natomas Unified School District Enrollment page, or any of the school sites listed above.
For more information on Transitional Kindergarten (TK), please visit TK California for Parents.
- For students who will turn 5 on or before September 2nd of the academic year they are enrolling
- A California Common Core State Standards aligned academic program which combines direct instruction, small group instruction, hands-on activities, and use of technology to provide a rich and well-rounded program
- Full Day – approximately 6 hours (7:45 a.m. – 1:40 p.m. approximately)