CONGRATULATIONS Paso Verde School Families and Scholars-you’ve not only survived a very challenging school year, you’ve thrived! I am very proud of all we have accomplished. Together.
As I have shared in our weekly communications, this year will not be my traditional end of year message. There is no guidebook for being a principal, teacher, parent, or scholar during the COVID-19 pandemic but staff is working to support new structures and processes to implement a safe return to the PVS campus. We will work to keep you informed about plans for the 2020-2021 school year, our new, permanent site, and more as decisions are made for the fall. Please continue to check email and the NUSD and PVS websites. As we do head into summer, please know that we should be proud to be members of the NUSD Community and how our district has responded, and will continue to respond to COVID-19. Natomas Unified School District has done significant thinking about educating our students and keeping scholars, staff, and families safe.
However, let’s not forget it’s SUMMER TIME! While you and your family are enjoying much needed quality time, no distance learning, mornings with no alarm clocks, and maybe even some nights with no set bedtime, I want to encourage you to keep some inquiry and academics alive in the fun!
- Continue to encourage your scholar to read at least 20 minutes a day
- On your stay-cations and/or vacations, read about the history of the places you are or wish you were visiting. Try comparing and contrasting the history to that of our community.
- Talk about the engineering and innovative thinking required to create the many things you get to explore at your summer destinations (amusement parks, swimming pools, airports, slides, train stations, etc.)
- Involve your children in planning activities and events and reflecting on their plans
- Practice keyboarding skills on a keyboard
- Create photo presentations using PowerPoint, Google Slides, Flipgrid
- Participate in random acts of kindness in your neighborhood: chalk drawings, leaving a flower or bouquet from your yard for a neighbor, painted rocks with messages
- Create videos that capture your summer and write a summary
- Help your children keep a journal to memorialize their summer
- Utilize the PVS distance learning resources on this link: https://sites.google.com/natomasunified.org/pvssplashpage/online-resources
While we plan for the next school year, we wish you health, safe travels or virtual travels, and an abundance of joy, curiosity, laughter, and love this summer with your family. Life is short and tomorrow is not promised, so please spread kindness in our community, be grateful for what you DO have, and share the Puma Way!
Team Puma does have one more summer treat, quarantine style, to let you and our scholars know it’s time to celebrate summer:
Please enjoy a restful and relaxing SUMMER ahead.
With much Puma Pride,