SMUD Museum of Science and Curiosity (MOSAC) Camp
NUSD has partnered with the SMUD Museum of Science and Curiosity (MOSAC) for a second year to provide Natomas K-6 students with the opportunity to attend their summer camps located in downtown Sacramento at 400 Jibboom Street. In addition, MOSAC is collaborating with NUSD to pilot a new program to bring MOSAC to NUSD. There will be two offerings of a 1 week camp at two of our NUSD school sites: Natomas Park Elementary and Jefferson School.
Students that attend will have a blast as they explore, innovate, engineer, experiment, create, play and make friends. Students will engage in hands-on activities designed to ignite the imagination and build confidence in a variety of science topics.
Program Capacity and Enrollment: MOSAC structures their camps based on themes and grade levels. Please note that capacity is limited for all camp sessions and therefore priority of enrollment will be given to students in need. Each camp is one week long, from 9am-4pm daily. Below is a list of available camps (by week and grade level) starting June 20th through August 1st (you can click on the link in the table to learn more about each camp).
If you are interested in your student attending this amazing opportunity, please use the following link to complete the NUSD application form no later than May 6, 2022.
Confirmation of your student’s registration will be provided by Tuesday, May 6th. Space is limited, and a waitlist will be created if we receive an overwhelming response from families. Students will be taken off of the waitlist as space becomes available. Click on the link to learn more, and then complete the NUSD Application Form.
MOSAC Camp Descriptions
- Jr. Naturalist –Calling all Jr. Naturalists! Join us as we learn all about how the world around us works. From sprouting seeds to observing tiny tadpoles, campers will investigate how living things in nature grow and change just like us! Campers will have fun with nature while learning to be good neighbors.
- Curious about Space – How many planets are there in our solar system? What stars can we see at night? What would it be like to live on Mars? Come explore the cosmos, get answers to your far-out questions and reach for the stars!
First and Second Grades
- Slimy, Slippery Science –The MOSAC lab is the place to get messy, learn and play! Experiment with bubbling chemistry, investigate states of matter, and even participate in an optional dissection. This week is about hands-on experimentation and exploration!
- Make It Go –Fly, float and roll! From soaring airplanes to cruising cars, campers will explore speed, aerodynamics and movement of all kinds. Join us as we experiment and play with engineering and the science of what makes things go!
- Naturally Curious –From flying insects and leaping frogs to swimming salmon and scurrying squirrels, Sacramento is home to so many fascinating creatures! This camp will look at some of these local species, the habitats they live in, and explore how we can be good neighbors to these animal friends and their homes.
- 3, 2, 1 Blast Off –Houston, we have a camp! Together we will explore our galaxy and beyond as we learn about space exploration, experiment with gravity, imagine what it would be like to survive on other planets and so much more. Our week of science for budding astronauts will culminate in a MOSAC rocket launch – it’s going to be out of this world!
Third and Fourth Grades
- Dream it, Build It –What do you dream of building? Join us for our engineering-themed camp and spend the week designing, building, experimenting and creating art with an engineering twist. Whether building a bridge or a roller coaster, we will play and learn together throughout the process!
- Science Everywhere – Science is all around us! Whether you are curious about outer space, living things, or digging through geological rock layers, there is no escaping the wonders of science. Let’s investigate together by exploring how science makes the world around us so unique.
- Are You Game? –First comes the imagination, then comes the creation! Join us as we use the science of physics and simple machines to create toys and games. You will experiment, engineer and test your creations during this fun-filled week! What game will you create?
- Planets, Dwarf Planets, and Asteroids, Oh My! – Calling all space explorers! Blast off to MOSAC to learn about planets and other objects in our solar system, our galaxy and the universe! Campers will build and test rockets, discover what it may take to survive on other worlds, and participate in space-themed hands-on activities.
Fifth and Sixth Grades
- Team Green- From alternative energy sources and water conservation to saving endangered species, there are so many ways young people are making a difference. What can you do help? Campers this week will take a closer look at sustainability, in our community and around the world. Campers will brainstorm creative solutions to real world challenges, do experiments in the lab and consider issues from an engineering perspective.
- To Mars and Beyond – If you were an astronaut, which mission would you want to be a part of? Would you go to the moon or to Mars? Would you want to live on the International Space Station? This week we will learn all about space exploration and the challenges astronauts, scientists and engineers face working toward the Mars Artemis missions! Join us for creative challenges and hands-on experiments and activities. Next stop: Mars!
Summer Internships with MOSAC (10th-12th Grade)
Volunteer At MOSAC!
Are you a student (ages 15-18 years old) who enjoys working with kids, is interested in exploring steam topics, and isn’t afraid to get messy and silly?
If so, camp curiosity is looking for you! We are in search of engaging, responsible camp counselors who are ready to join our team and assist our camp leaders in facilitating inquiry-based learning activities and creative projects with kids in kindergarten through 6th grade. You will gain valuable leadership experience, learn new skills and work as part of a fun, supportive team. to apply to be a volunteer camp counselor. Please read the requirements below and email our camp coordinator at [email protected] to request a link to our online application!
- Work At Least 3 Full Camp Weeks (M-F, 8 Am – 5 Pm)
- Be Between 15-18 Years Of Age
- Ability To Work In All Weather Conditions, Including Extreme Heat
- Ability To Adhere To Health And Safety Guidelines Determined By MOSAC In Accordance With Current Public Health Recommendations
- Communicate In A Clear And Professional Manner With Museum Staff, Visitors and Children Volunteer At MOSAC!