The California Young Reader Medal Program (CYRM) is a recognition for recently published (last four years) children’s and young adult books that allows students and teachers to nominate and vote on books they enjoyed. The CYRM committee selects between three and five books per category each year, and librarians and teachers may submit student votes on behalf of their class or school. Those votes help the committee select the winners.
Witter Ranch’s librarian has read the primary books and picture books for older readers to many of our classes over the past few years, and has submitted the students’ votes. Books below are linked to Witter Ranch library copies through Destiny Discover or to the Sacramento Public Library‘s copies for reference.
The 2021-2022 Primary nominees are:
- Drawn Together (WRE ebook) by Minh Le and Dan Santat
- Sulwe (WRE ebook) (WRE audiobook) by Lupita Nyong’o and Vashti Harrison,
- All Are Welcome (WRE ebook) by Alexandra Penfold and Suzanne Kaufman
- Hair Love (WRE ebook) (WRE audiobook) by Matthew A. Cherry and Vashti Harrison, and
- Dreamers (WRE ebook) (WRE Spanish ebook) (WRE audiobook) by Yuyi Morales.
Follow the links to read or listen, or listen to them below.
The 2021-2022 Picture Book for Older Readers nominees are:
The 2020-2021 primary nominees were:
- The Day You Begin (WRE Audiobook)(also available in Spanish) by Jacqueline Woodson,
- Madeline Finn and the Library Dog (WRE Ebook) by Lisa Papp,
- Alfie: The Turtle That Disappeared (WRE Ebook) by Thyra Heder,
- After the Fall : How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up by Dan Santat, and
- Poor Louie by Tony Fucile.
At Witter Ranch, our favorite one was After The Fall : How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up by Dan Santat. The winner was Poor Louie by Tony Fucile.
The 2020-2021 nominees for the picture books for older readers category were:
- Step Right Up (WRE Ebook) by Donna Janelle Bowman and Daniel Minter,
- Six Dots (also an evideo) by Jennifer Bryant and Boris Kulikov, and
- Sergeant Reckless by Patricia McCormick and Iacopa Bruno.
The winner was Sergeant Reckless by Patricia McCormich and Iacopa Bruno.